About the Plug and Feathers
This village is listed in the Domesday Book. In 1086, the book notes that "Serb holds this for William Peverel. In Clapwell, Liefric had one carucate of land to the geld. There is land for as two ploughs. There eight villans have 6 ploughs… Serb now holds it”
Glapwell colliery closed in the 1970s and now the Eve Trakway company owns the land. There is no overall dominant industry in the area, with most of the jobs being out of the village. The village has a local shop, post office and two pub/restaurants: The Young Vanish, (this unusual name was that of a 19th century champion race horse) and The Plug and Feathers, otherwise Ma Hubbards, formerly the Glapwell Hotel. The Glapwell Hotel was in fact one of the first places that train travellers would see when leaving the nearby LMS train station, which was closed in the 1930s. This is an excellent account of the railway that connected Glapwell with the outside world. Glapwell Garden Centre stands on the site of the former Glapwell Hall, the residence of the now extinct Hallowes and Jackson families. The local football team is Glapwell F.C., their home games are played at Hall Corner in the north of the village. The local cricket team, Glapwell Colliery Cricket Club, play their home games at Park Avenue.